The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Photography

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-cliff-when-my-son-scooped-the-camera-out-of-26842065.aspx

Subject:  Re: How to save a drowned camera Date:  7/24/2008  12:14 PM
Author:  Darwood11 Number:  15285 of 22200

Hi Cliff:

When my son scooped the camera out of the water, he was feeling really awful. When I heard the splash and his “Oh S__t” my first reaction was to blurt an expletive, but instead I took a deep breath and turned around. My worst fears were confirmed. After he retrieved the camera, he apologized and using all of the fortitude I could muster I stepped closer, locked eyes with him and said: "Don't worry, hardware can be replaced! It’s not the important thing."

I meant it. We were on a trip we had been talking about for 10 years, and planning since last fall. (My sons are in their 20s).

So I regretted that my camera was out of commission and I dreaded replacing it. I was also concerned that the memory card was damaged, and I had lost all of those photos.

As it turned out, I lost nothing and gained a lot!

We talk about that trip with enthusiasm and this camera episode had become part of the family lore and a part of that adventure.

Dar Wood
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us