The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-getting-ready-to-wrap-up-this-new-research-26844689.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blending at a Whole New Level Date:  7/25/2008  8:12 AM
Author:  Zeelotes Number:  211498 of 263909

I'm getting ready to wrap up this new research related to blending. Before I do, I thought I'd post what I would consider the best that I have to offer on the subject of what is the optimal way to sort screens for bearish and bullish periods. This is based on millions of data points, and hundreds of tests. The tables that follow are the result of taking all of that and finding what measure had the best return. I did this by taking the 78-88 VL test, the 89-08 VL test and the 99-08 SIPRO test. I found the ranking for each of these tests for each measure, then I averaged the ranks. I did this first for all three, and then again, just for the 89-08 VL test and the 99-08 SIPRO test. I personally put more weight on the latter two since the earlier test has so few screens to sort off from.

What these tables will answer is this:

Which sorting measure has produced the highest forward return on a blend when used to select five screens holding ranks 1-4 from each for a total hold of twenty stocks?

My conclusion from all of this testing is not so much that one particular measure most definitely stands out in the crowd, but rather that quite a few are consistent winners. Choosing nearly any of these from the top wouldn't hurt. In fact, it may also be possible to choose to blend the results that would come from the top five. Say five stocks from each measure resulting in choosing five screens for each measure so going with the top