The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-yeah-i-am-going-to-be-forced-into-an-hsa-26880124.aspx

Subject:  Re: Saving money on Meds Date:  8/6/2008  6:39 PM
Author:  ziggy29 Number:  1273 of 1483

>> Yeah I am going to be forced into an HSA next year too. The author includes a list of cheaper alternatives for common drugs, so I'm hoping mine are on the list... <<

I wasn't really "forced" into an HSA since we could have chosen a PPO option. But they raised the deductible sharply on the PPO option, AND the HSA option was $1000 a year less out of my paycheck than the PPO option, AND my employer kicks in $600 to the HSA. So in that light, it was an easy choice to make, given that the HSA is $1600 better right off the bat and the deductible was only $1700 higher at the family level.

And even though I don't think the HDHP/HSA solution is the magic bullet for our health care mess in all cases, in our situation it works well, and it definitely does show the potential power of informed consumers in the health care market.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us