The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-working-class-neighbor-across-the-street-sold-26888922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Info needed Date:  8/9/2008  10:00 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  13868 of 19218

My working class neighbor across the street sold off his house to pay off his gambling debts and credit cards --- he even got a couple of thousand dollars back, representing his net worth.

He told me he was "starting fresh." At Age 70.

A good friend of mine retired early on an underfunded retirement. He's struggling, again at age 70.

Then there are all the fifty year old men, and a few women, living as trolls under bridges and such, out out of inoperable RVs and such.

You know ---- clues indicating people aren't doing very well. I'm sure most of them xissed a lot of money away over the years.

Seattle Pioneer

---------------------

And they represent MOST people?
Just asking. I know lots more people than that who are doing nicely. Or, at least, who are not squandering what they have.

I guess my point is that, if a person has had the fortitude to actually amass a good deal of money, what makes you (or the OP) think they are not capable of managing to withdraw from it intelligently without resorting to an annuity?

That's all.

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us