The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-didnt-read-the-op-because-the-op-is-in-my-26919083.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama - Family First! Date:  8/21/2008  12:00 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  13896 of 61265

I didn't read the OP -- because the OP is in my p-box where he shall remain for all eternity. :)

However, this whole business of "family" has me scratching my head.
Why is it that we somehow feel obligated to "family" when others are far more needy?

We can pick our friends - but we are stuck with family even when those members are people we would never choose to associate with if we were given the choice.

Some of my "family" members were once give money - by me - and I've yet to receive even a "thank you" for it. Guess who won't be getting any more money from me.... even when I die.

I'm considering giving most of my money to organizations who work I approve - and perhaps to some individuals who may or may not be "family".

I feel absolutely no obligation to give my hard-earned and carefully husbanded funds to people who will squander them. No obligation at all.

This business of "family" -- something you had absolutely no say in at all (unless you chose to have children) -- is a complete mystery to me. Maybe that is because I have no siblings of my own. I've always wanted siblings, but that was not to be my lot in this life. However, I've seen the mess other people get into wrt siblings... and if that would be my fate, I'm well out of it.

"Family" is a very strange and taxing subject.

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us