The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Faith in a Postmodern World

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sorry-for-taking-so-long-in-answer-to-your-26921524.aspx

Subject:  Re: Evangelicals are fragmenting Date:  8/22/2008  9:10 AM
Author:  andryia Number:  3510 of 3513

Sorry for taking so long!

In answer to your question. . .the Bible does use fire and brimstone, along with other descriptions, to describe Hell. At some point I will look up those references for you.

What is interesting to me is that some of them are contradictory if you take them literally. For instance, Jesus in one parable talks about a wicked servant being thrown into "outer darkness, where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth." You can't have literal darkness and literal fire in the same place.

And then there are many passages that speak of Hell as a place of destruction; obviously you can't be destroyed and then tormented forever.

BTW, A really good book about Hell references in the Bible is Brian McLaren's _The Last Word and the Word after That_.

If you look up my church's "official" beliefs (which haven't changed in over 70 years), you'll see the "eternal torment" type of Hell. What intrigues me is that nobody talks about those official beliefs anymore.

And, yes, I am loving the weather! I saw the sun yesterday for the first time in a week.

HTH,
Andrea
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us