The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/despite-all-those-complementary-attributes-of-the-26943302.aspx

Subject:  Re: Obama - Family First! Date:  8/29/2008  3:31 PM
Author:  ChurchyLaFemme Number:  14279 of 56837

Despite all those complementary attributes of the running mates, McCain's pick certainly goes against the 'trusted experience' theme; Palin is very well liked and trusted among Alaskans who know her and her approval ratings are as high as just about any governor's, but the experience is still very thin. And Obama's pick totally flies in the face of "change." Obama's choice was as Washington establishment as you can get and he has his share of baggage such as with the plagiarism thing.

I've been reading several sites to gauge what women are saying about this choice. For every disaffected Hillary supporter who will go for McCain, I'm seeing roughly 6 that see the Palin choice as a blatant attempt to garner their votes just because Palin is a woman. In point of fact, it was a sexist choice on McCain's part because he seems to think that all he needs is to have a woman on the ticket to have women come over in droves. Apparently, the Illinois Republican Party thought that all they needed to do was draft Alan Keyes to run against Obama in the 2004 Illinois Senate race. I guess they thought that Keyes, being black, would attract black voters. That didn't work, either.

In addition to KBH, there are a number of other Republican women who are far more qualified to be VP, including the 2 Senators from ME, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins. Sen. Collins is running for re-election and from what I'm seeing, is running circles around her Democratic opponent, Tom Allen. Fortunately, the race in ME is very genteel so far and there have been no negative ads funded by either campaign. However PAC attack ads are starting to show up.

As far as Governors go, there's M. Jodi Rell of Connectictut, the first Republican woman governor of a state that's a lot more diverse and complex than Alaska.

Like I said earlier, I think McCain has screwed the pooch on this one.

Churchy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us