The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-use-one-myself-but-this-sounds-like-a-27014159.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Advice For Momma Date:  9/21/2008  3:31 PM
Author:  tilnow Number:  14001 of 19221

I don't use one myself, but this sounds like a situation where an independent certified financial planner (not one who sells insurance or securities) might help set up a plan for your mother's monies.

Then you could come back to the board and bounce the suggested plan off the experience of other retirees to get their opinions. There's a lot of expertise on this board, and people are especially willing to help beginners get started managing their money.

As for shared housing with your sister, I strongly advise against it. Your mother could be very close by, but not under the same roof ideally.

Last spring, after serious orthopedic surgery, I spent two weeks recovering with our daughter's family. They were wonderful and completely wanted me there, but I went home as soon as possible so they could have their privacy back.

You've come to the right board. I wish your family the best as you work through this transition in your lives. DH and I have found ourselves in your shoes twice in the past.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us