The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement-Soon or Done

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/soc-sec-question-27104062.aspx

Subject:  Soc Sec Question Date:  10/17/2008  10:27 AM
Author:  EllenB116 Number:  148 of 169

I'm turning 62 in June '09. I've been thinking that getting into the SS system might be the wise thing to do, since usually government reform is aimed at future beneficiaries - grandfathering those already in the system. And, I'm thinking more reform (benefit cuts) are on the way.

Read a Kiplinger article from July that mentioned a strategy for collecting a spousal benefit while continuing to work, and then collecting based on my lifetime earnings at 66 (full retirement age for me).

My husband is already retired - he postponed collecting SS til 70, so he is receiving as much SS as possible.

Since my earnings are low at this point (working Part Time) and probably won't exceed the 13K+ limit, is this the right strategy for me? Simply collecting based on my earnings would give me a larger benefit at 62 - but it wouldn't "step up" at 66

The article pretty much said that asking about things at SS offices can be a hit or miss experience at best when seeking correct information.

Any input fellow fools have to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

ellen
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us