The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Seeking Emotional Maturity

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lets-just-be-friends-oops-27105604.aspx

Subject:  Let's Just Be Friends. . .oops Date:  10/17/2008  5:16 PM
Author:  lovelyrics Number:  522 of 529

The man I met in church emailed me after he got back to Texas and asked me to go to church and eat chicken with him for lunch. I was ecstatic!

He took me by to see his house, a tidy little bungalow in one of Austin's more eclectic chic areas and we shared the hymnal and Bible again. At lunch in a park, I invited him for shrimp night at Quality Seafood and told him this time I'd pay. At first he said yes and then he told me he had to be honest with me.

He had met recently a woman on Craig's List with whom he was newly developing a relationship and she didn't want him to have any other women in his life. He was sure she would say no when he asked her (ASKED her!) about it and no was what she said.

I emailed him back and said I felt sorry for him because there was so much jealousy and possessiveness so early in the game and I felt sorry for him because she precluded being friends with me. (Notice the quick switch in terms here.)

I felt good doing this. I felt great doing this. I had heard of men who believed that men and women couldn't be friends but at this point I had never met one. My DH and I were happily married for 19 years and until his death maintained our respective male and female friends.

So isn't that a dream shatterer?

lovelyrics
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us