The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/stuck-for-options-27117897.aspx

Subject:  Stuck for options Date:  10/22/2008  12:59 AM
Author:  auctionnoodle Number:  14141 of 19257

I am really hoping you all can give me some guideance.

A little background:
Dh would like to reitre right now :) But, it will be another 12 years before we are empty nesters, so that would be nice too.

We max his 401(k) contributions. We max my IRA contribution. He doesn't have an IRA (I can't remember now if he doesn't have one just because we haven't done it or if it's because he can't have one and a 401(k) at the same time, legally).

We would like to save for retirement while keeping taxes to a minimum, of course. We just can't figure out how to do it. We saw a couple advisors who suggested life insurance annuities, but we are skeptical. This started out because we also need a new life insurance policy (our term life premiums are about to go up drastically). We are concerned about being taxed ordinary income rates when we get the annuity income at retirement. We are also concerned about fees and wonder if there is a better way to save more efficiently.

We are using 529's to save for college for the kids. So, everything else is in a regular brokerage account. Assuming we can even figure out how much our expenses will be in retirement and how much we then need to save, what is the best way to save it?

Thanks for any advice, noodle
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us