The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-had-a-401k-going-earlier-but-i-ran-into-27289550.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement in danger Date:  12/21/2008  3:34 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  1327 of 1491

<<I had a 401k going earlier, but I ran into unemployment for a while, and wound up living on those savings. The next job I found didn't offer benefits of any kind, and neither did the one after that. I can't help but wonder if this is a spreading trend, or if THIS motley fool is missing the jackpot.
>>

I quit my job as a repairman with a utility company in 1999 in favor of operating my own repair service, which I'd begun in 1994.

I began my independent existence by being crippled and unable to work with a herniated disk in my back which had actually begun before I'd quit my job. So that led to my first three months of independence with no earned income. No worries though --- I had ample savings for such an event.

In addition to that, it felt a little strange to begin laying out money for health insurance and dental insurance beginning the next month (COBRA benefits). For two or three months it seemed STRANGE to be paying for my own health insurance, even though I had planned all along to do exactly that, of course.

After that three months--- it seemed STRANGE that an employer would pay for my health insurance. That still seems rather weird to me ten years later.

I guess you can get used to anything --- and take it for granted.

But really --- isn't it weird to have employers pay for your health insurance?

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us