The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-all-your-responses-it-seems-there-are-27323198.aspx

Subject:  Re: Just when things were going ok, the rules ch Date:  1/5/2009  8:18 PM
Author:  Mudster1 Number:  65054 of 75340

Thanks for all your responses. It seems there are only 4 people in the entire district who use the company I am with, so I guess the cash flow isn't worth the "hold harmless" form they refuse to sign.

On the more positive sign, I had tried to sign up with Vanguard to have pre-tax funds invested in mutual funds (not in an annuity), but was told that I could not do this - as was a co-worker who wanted the same thing, but with Fidelity. Now, with a new administrator in charge of the office [who seems to have more knowledge of investment as well as a legal background], it appears that they are going to allow this. This would be good news, especially since the vast majority of the other vendors on the approved list are insurance-related companies offering annuities and ready and willing to take a big chunk of earnings through fees. At least some of them are bail-out names.

We don't have any matching contributions here. I think this is partly because there is no will to negotiate for this benefit. My cohorts appear to be generally uninterested in retirement investing issues. What has really scared me today as I've talked with other teachers about this situation - something which affects so many of us - is how little they know about the company with which they invest, their holdings, how their investment has performed, fees, etc. In other words, IF they have invested (cut the potential pool by 75% or more), they have virtually no idea what they've done. I'm a bit taken back.
With the focus on short-term benefits, mainly salary increases, I don't think any amount of reason as to the benefits of pre-tax benefits (matching contributions) will ever sink in. Alas....
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us