The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-odd-as-it-sounds-a-volatile-and-extreme-market-27352304.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Funds, My Misery Date:  1/15/2009  4:49 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  65133 of 75782

As odd as it sounds a volatile and extreme market like last year is by far the best time for individuals or actively managed mutual funds to be able to outperform index funds. This is because in screwy times there are lots of chances to “dodge bullets” or “find gems” by picking the right stocks or mutual funds. You didn’t give your overall performance for the year but it is pretty clear that you didn’t even come close to beating a comparable set of index funds even thought it was the ideal year to beat the indexes.

If you had a stock broker managing your account and he was responsible for investing your money like that last year, you would likely fire him and invest your money somewhere else. It could be time to “fire” yourself as a stock picker.

...I am 40..

Welcome to the middle age club.

This is your retirement money that you are dealing with and you are officially middle aged now. Now would be a good time to be more conservative and go with index funds for the bulk of your retirement savings.

Greg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us