The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-reactions-you-rode-the-market-down-so-unless-27352936.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Funds, My Misery Date:  1/15/2009  8:44 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  65134 of 75880

My reactions -

You rode the market down, so unless you want to buy and sell low, you need to be equally agressive in the future. However, this time you might want to "sell high" and but a portion of your funds in something like fixed income,

As others have said, you have lots of overlap and probably about twice any many funds as are required. Diversifcation does not mean buying multiple funds that are invested in large cap stocks. In this line, if you have any funds in taxable accounts, it might be a good idea to sell, (to capture losses) and invest on a lower number of similar funds. By that I am saying sell the likes of vfinx and ixg. Replace these with same a regional bank ETF. Same bucks in financials, one less investment. Same approach will all your foreign/overseas investments. Etc.

There is nothing that says you have to be balanced in each individual account - infact it makes a whole lot more sense to have income producing investments in a tax deferred account. Long term growth or say and S&P index fund (or ETF) in a taxable account.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us