The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-op-was-objecting-to-the-idea-that-you-act-27359475.aspx

Subject:  Re: "Money Magazine" Goof Date:  1/18/2009  2:02 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  65156 of 76395

I think OP was objecting to the idea that you act as if you make the company money, the arrogance will put a target on your back. I think that the magazine was saying that you need to be able to quantify your value to the company to avoid being a layoff target. It is easy to point to the number of units you have moved or the amount of revenue you have generated. But more often than not, those who work in back-office jobs difficulty being able to identify their contribution to the bottom line.

There are two ways to improve profitability - increasing revenue and decreasing costs. Sometimes it is easier to demonstrate an ability to drive profits by decreasing costs than by increasing revenue. For example, I write reports. In some cases, the reports are customer-facing, so I help drive revenue by producing value added reporting services to paying customers. But more often than not, I am writing internal reports which do not affect revenue. However, they can point out areas where the business is operating efficiently and inefficiently, which can lead to cost savings.

Fuskie
Who concludes you can see yourself as a cog in a wheel or as a valuable contributor to the bottom line, and how you see yourself can impact how management sees you...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us