The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/recommendations-0-i-guess-40-snuck-up-on-me-and-i-27364074.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Funds, My Misery Date:  1/20/2009  10:28 AM
Author:  Ringfinger Number:  65161 of 76421

Recommendations: 0
I guess 40 snuck up on me and I am stressing a little more than I did in the past.

I have seen my retirement literally cut in half. Very scary! I have tried to beat the market, much to the diapproval of many. I have been here for 10 years at the Fool, I don't know what came over me this past year. Anyway, that is why I have so many funds. I have micromanaged classes. I don't see my money growing. of course, this past year has been brutal.

I am basically here. I have an IRA (never converted to Roth) that is 80% of my portfolio. It is at Schwab and there are a multitude of choices. My 401k is 20%. It is at Vanguard with no provision to put it into brokerage like I have been able to do at other companies. The bond choices there are Vanguard Inflation-Protect Sec Inv VIPSX and Vanguard Total Bond Mkt Idx Signal VBTSX.

I never seem to rebalance because the % I set stay about the same. Maybe that is good, maybe that is bad. Dunno. In other words, I am not locking in any gains, bad move for sure. I am thinking a portfolio consisting of 50% Large Cap, 20% Small Cap, 20% International. 10% Bond/Fixed. probably best suited to buy all index funds. The problem is, a lot of the funds are good, 4 and 5 star. I chose them for a reason. Some can go for sure. Should I look at a REIT fund? I can buy any at Schwab, thoughts? I will drop first Winslow Green growth (WGGFX) as it is 1 star and has definitely been a bad pick. However, it it's place should go something, maybe a bond fund? I am seeing the need to play it just slightly safer so I can see some growth down the road. I know the market will come back, however, is now the time to start thinking I am actually going to retire and get some fixed in there?

Bogle says % of fixed should equal your age. That is too conservative but will accept any advice.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us