The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / TIAA-CREF

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-i-noticed-a-couple-weeks-ago-when-i-attempted-27371955.aspx

Subject:  Re: T-C Website Date:  1/22/2009  1:37 PM
Author:  Mark12547 Number:  54 of 57

Yes, I noticed a couple weeks ago when I attempted to login to TIAA-CREF that it came up with the same error, but after that one error, I could log in fine with answering the security question on the same screen as the password.

I haven't had problems since, except that I now have two screens, one for the user-id, the second for the security question and password.

Vanguard also has separate screens for user-id and password, so logging in is a two-step process there, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if more sites separate login credentials to separate screens so the user-id and password never travel again in the same packet to financial institutions.

My credit union still has one screen where both the user-id and password are supplied during the login process, but they also have a cookie they look for and, if not present, you have to click on a link whereby they send you a code that you then have to supply, so again they are looking for information from two separate transmissions.

At least it isn't as bad as TreasuryDirect, where one needs a serial-numbered decoding card and have to supply codes from that card based on coordinates TreasuryDirect asks based on the serial number of the card they show they had mailed you. (I'm almost tempted to key in that card into an encrypted note field in KeePass so I don't have to keep on searching for that card each time I want to visit TreasuryDirect.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us