The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools


Subject:  Re: Retiring in Other Countries Date:  1/23/2009  2:45 PM
Author:  temsike Number:  14557 of 20597

You'd also want to check on your US voting rights, again, which may vary by state. I know in MD we have overseas residents who can vote full ballots at their last MD domicile and others who are "Federal only," restricted to just President and Congressional ballots.

Before a US citizen or resident decides to become a ex-pat retiree, it's a good idea to establish "residency" in a non-income tax state such as Nevada, Texas, Alaska, etc.

I don't know the details. Why pay state income tax on your retirement earnings if you don't live there and don't have to?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us