The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / TIAA-CREF

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-no-idea-what-inspired-me-to-look-at-this-27382425.aspx

Subject:  Re: T-C Website Date:  1/26/2009  12:15 PM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  56 of 57

I have no idea what inspired me to look at this board for the first time in many, many months, but thanks. I would not have known to use caps to log in. I had no problem, otherwise, though I don't remember having a security question in the past (might have done that and forgotten).

I really don't mind T-Direct's security. It's not hard once you get used to it, though it is cumbersome enough I haven't been checking to see if tax forms are ready.

I don't think T-Direct's security is part of the attempt to destroy Savings Bonds, since it also applies to TIPS and Treasury auctions. I do agree that Bush's Treasury has attempted to eliminate I-bonds and EE-bonds as viable options where those with limited means can get competitive returns or put enough away with a very slight tax advantage to make them attractive. I don't know whether the desire to eliminate savings bonds stems from them being such as small part of financing national debt or a deliberate attempt to screw the little guy. With the Bush regime I assume the worst as a default.

I have written Carl Levin (my Senator) with a proposal for reestablishing Savings bonds at market rates and sufficient maximums, as well as to make them available (at these market rates) in retirement plans at no cost. I would urge you to follow suit.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us