The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-do-need-these-things-include-list-of-27433554.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Man in the White Suit Date:  2/12/2009  7:28 AM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  25948 of 35362

We do need these things (include list of whatever's fashionable), moreso when we're young. I know that I still need my motorcycles, though I can't ride them much, anymore. It connects us to our fellow men.

Bread and roses. Bread and roses.

When increased productivity lowers the cost of bread, there is more for roses, assuming the jobs lost producing bread are replaced with jobs that pay enough to buy the cheaper bread and have money left over for roses.

There's nothing surprising about what is happening to our economy. You force American workers to compete for jobs with workers in countries where labor costs are a fraction. You utilize labor saving devices and then finance the only universe for "new and better" (the internet) on smoke and mirrors. You pump money into real estate on the "if you build it they will come" theory, then lend money to buy it at inflated prices when there are no new jobs in the economy except those coming from real estate. You build up the national debt during good times on the lie that tax cuts generate more revenues than they cost the government. And so on.

And you still have a large majority of politicians who think all that is needed is a jump start. Sorry, this isn't someone having mistakenly left the lights on or even somebody who should have bought that new battery before winter. The car has been falling apart for years and duck tape can no longer put it back together.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us