The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/maybe-this-will-take-our-boomer-seminal-27433702.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Man in the White Suit Date:  2/12/2009  8:44 AM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  25952 of 35367

Maybe this will take our boomer seminal experience of "drugs, sex and alcohol"

That's "sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll," but obviously you were too stoned to remember.

My 83 year old MIL is STILL governed by her experiences then.

My father-in-law, who would have been 94 next month, was pathologically afraid of spending money, though ironically he loved the stock market. We couldn't get him to spend money he had (at least if not lost on stocks) on "luxuries" that would really have made their life more comfortable.

I think there should be a happy medium between living well within your means and living miserably in fear the bottom will fall out. This is one reason the right wing's "let them eat cake" hatred of the safety nut completely undermines capitalism. If I believed we would move to an affordable, universal health care plan or that social security would be strengthened by bringing in new revenues not cutting back benefits (and that there would be money to pay back the trust fund), I would be more willing to spend. I'm not going to be like my father-in-law, but there are things we could spend money on (notably building a second home on property we own) that I consider too risky, even though there isn't a single financial advisor in any of the gin joints who wouldn't tell me that would be a good investment at this time and that I have nothing to worry about.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us