The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-whole-textbook-issue-is-a-sore-point-with-me-27444311.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Man in the White Suit Date:  2/16/2009  12:19 PM
Author:  richinaz Number:  25984 of 35397

The whole textbook issue is a sore point with me. I take an occasional class, towards a masters degree, and besides the outrageous cost, the issue is with professors requiring you to buy THEIR text books.

As a student it appears to me as someone padding their pocketbook. Also I'd like to have 2 different viewpoints/perspectives in a class, the author's and the professor's. Using a single textbook defeats that purpose.

The electronic (pdf) form of textbook is something that could be good but due to the digital rights laws, makes them much worse than a text book. The DRM takes away the capability of copying/pasting important parts/equations into a document of notes for you to study.

One nice thing about a book is that you can view one page and hold with your fingers another page and easily view both at one time. The readers that I have used in classes don't allow you to do that easily. Obviously the search feature is nice in the electronic version, but I (my eyes) still find it easier to read a real book.

Sorry for the rant,
Rich
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us