The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/he-whole-textbook-issue-is-a-sore-point-with-me-27444714.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Man in the White Suit Date:  2/16/2009  2:24 PM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  25988 of 35252

he whole textbook issue is a sore point with me. I take an occasional class, towards a masters degree, and besides the outrageous cost, the issue is with professors requiring you to buy THEIR text books.

As a student it appears to me as someone padding their pocketbook. Also I'd like to have 2 different viewpoints/perspectives in a class, the author's and the professor's. Using a single textbook defeats that purpose.

I agree that a professor using his own textbook is a conflict of interest. I certainly believe students need various perspectives, but textbooks are a weird thing, so I don't know that you can really have a textbook that offers a different perspective in most subjects. A good textbook should offer both the agreed upon knowledge of the field and enduring controversies, with all perspectives given. Obviously, everyone has a particular side on these controversies, but you are supposed to given them fair exposure.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us