The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltwho-is-still-amazed-at-how-many-photos-27447126.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Man in the White Suit Date:  2/17/2009  11:50 AM
Author:  markr33 Number:  25993 of 35362

<<who is still amazed at how many photos get taken indoors now (as compared to with film)>>

Let's get personal.

A decade ago, on a long trip, I would spend over $200 on film and film processing, not including photo albums and making some blow ups or duplicated for sharing or framing.

Personally, I never, ever, spent $200 on film and processing for any trip. Most trips I ended up taking 3 or 4 rolls of 36, cost maybe $10-14 for the film, plus another $20-30 for processing, especially after they began offering double prints for an extra token amount. Once mail order film processing (Clark, York, etc) became common, there were always "price wars" and the prices were very low for acceptable processing. Sure the purists would never use them, but for me and my simple snapshots, it was more than good enough.

Last long trip, I took more photos, bought a few batteries, burnt the pictures onto a DVD (about $1 for 4-5 copies), and emailed a few photos.

Well, a few years ago, I purchased a Canon S330 for $350 plus another $90 for an extra battery, a case, an extra compactflash card, and an A/C adapter. Sometime after that I bought a cheapo digital camera for the kids to potentially play with (it had a great rebate and only cost $45 or so after rebate). Then 2 1/2 years ago, I purchased a Canon SD600 for $260, plus an extra battery, a case, and 2 SD cards, for $100. And recently, I purchased a Canon SD1100IS for $150, and reused the old case and the old batteries, but bought a large SDHC card for $25. So, it looks like I've probably spend more in the last 5-6 years on digital photography, before even uploading or printing a single shot than I spent in the previous 30 years on film photography! And right this very moment is the first time I ever calculated it (and I am a little shocked at myself because I usually view myself as someone that doesn't fritter away his hard earned money on "consumer disposables").

And if you want to go even further, I recently purchased a 1TB external drive from Western Digital for $120 for backup purposes. And this is primarily to backup my photos and music. Now that I think about it, we can also bemoan the destruction of the tape player (both home and personal) industry.

Now there are other expenses—broadband,computer and peripherals, etc. (the camera equipment itself is cheaper), but these all have multiple uses .

My much younger sisters, who are avid photographers, just post photos on line.

I post all my photographs online and share them with friends and family. I find it to be wonderful and fast - they get to see the pictures just hours after they were taken. They get to comment on them. They get to download them and even print them if they so desire. We also print photobooks of every family event and distribute to various members of the family. Most recently we created a photobook of our family cruise during the week of Thanksgiving, had 5 copies made and distributed one to each of the families involved (my wife, her 3 siblings, and her parents).

Finally, on Sunday night, my father-in-law, his brother, and I went to the local Walgreens, scanned in an old (circa 1940-something) photo with all their siblings, had 6 copies made, and 30 minutes later had those 6 copies in hand. And that simple action used many of the new technologies spawned by the digital photo revolution. Not only that, but those copies looked just as good as the original, and were on better paper to boot. All for $1.84 ($0.29 each plus tax).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us