The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-hesitate-to-advise-retiringbill-without-knowing-27481535.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should I Rollover 403b into IRA? Date:  2/28/2009  2:10 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  65418 of 75383

I hesitate to advise, RetiringBill without knowing a bit more about you.

How important is this 403b to your retirement? Do you have pension and Social Security that cover your retirement expenses? If yes, this money is more reserve for later, the unexpected, or maybe even some extras down the road. Then you can be a bit more liberal with how you invest it.

If the money and the income from it is needed to fund you basic retirement expenses, you need to be more careful.

ING is an insurance company and like AIG probably has some exposure to to same bad paper (usually mortgage derivatives or CDOs unsecured insurance written on other debts). That 4% yield is quite attractive. I suspect you would have difficulty replacing that yield in something like FDIC insured CDs (but insured CDs is probably the safest place to put your money right now--especially if safety is your main concern).

TIAA-Creff is indeed well known and respected. They have offered annuities that funded teachers retirement plans for decades. They are certainly a good company that people speak highly of.

AM Best is the firm that rates insurance companies. If you check the AM Best ratings of the companies you are offered, that is probably the best source of information. Both are probably OK, but diversification and safety become more important if the money is essential for your retirement. Then you might want to move all or part of it. Otherwise, does the higher yield justify the risk?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us