The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Family Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-why-the-heck-do-you-spend-40-60-on-shoes-for-27489467.aspx

Subject:  Re: teaching kids value Date:  3/3/2009  1:09 PM
Author:  TeraGram Number:  6739 of 6774

And why the heck do you spend $40-60 on SHOES for an 8 year old?

Sometimes, it's about the quality and the manufacture. I don't know about the OP, but I can tell you that my kid will go through 4 pairs of $12 shoes as if they were made out of paper. $12 shoes are made out of cloth or plastic. They tend to be glued, not stitched. I look for all-leather shoes, which tend to be at least $30 even on sale (YMMV, of course). I try very hard to snap things up on sale, even buying ahead of need, but it's tough, even considering that I live in a temperate zone and don't need to worry as much about seasonal needs.

Disclosure: My kid's feet point in rather severely, not bad enough to warrant surgery... though I sometimes think that might be the better option because the freakin' dance lessons (Irish dance, requires feet pointed OUT, forces HRH's attention as to how she's placing her feet, yadda yadda) are going to push me into the poorhouse, I swear.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us