The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/going-to-the-hospital-is-not-the-same-as-going-to-27506541.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medical Bill Date:  3/9/2009  12:03 PM
Author:  llambe Number:  285794 of 308454

Going to the hospital is not the same as going to your Dr's office, where you could pay the full bill right then if you wanted to. When I've gone to the hospital, it's been quite the opposite - in my experience it is impossible to find out who all the individual doctors involved are, or how many places you owe money to.

I have received 2 collections notices from hospital visits. I never received a bill, never knew I owed the money, and when I called the original provider (found from the collections notice), it turned out they HAD my correct address and phone number, but never billed me. In the 1st case if I'd had more experience I could have caught it from the insurance statement, but I naively expected them to actually send me a bill. In the 2nd case they had also not ever turned it in to the insurance so I had no way of even knowing I owed them money.

Personally I believe that it should be illegal to turn over to collections a bill that you never tried to collect!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us