The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Women & Investing


Subject:  Re: Eleven-year anniversary Date:  3/13/2009  6:29 PM
Author:  TMFVenus Number:  11193 of 11200

Selena writes:

I really can't disagree too much. :)

As much as I might want to think there are no differences, or that there just shouldn't be, there just are. Women are in different situations (in general) -- earning less, over fewer years and living longer than men, for example, and women (again, in general) seem to interact differently with investing -- taking less risk, trading less frequently, worrying more, being less confident, etc.

So -- I concede! :)

Oh, Selena, you've mellowed!!!

Even though I've spent the last 14 years writing about personal finance and investing, I still find the subject intimidating. (As the saying goes, the more I know, the more I know how much I don't know.) You can master investing to some degree...but what about investing for retirement, and portfolio allocation, and fixed income? And if you master that, there's estate planning, which is a whole other world of information that needs to be learned.

Ironically, although 11 years ago, I was fighting that men and women were different, now, I'm not so sure. I think it's more a personality thing. After all, look how many women have excelled in this so-called man's world. And men are entering professions that in the past have been more traditionally female. Male nurses, for example, are increasing each year. Male teachers hit an all-time low in 2001, and have been slowly increasing. And I just came across an article that said that in 2006, men accounted for only 38 percent of all bachelor degrees in Maine. (So I assume that the other 62 percent were earned by women, unless there's a group of "others" who I don't know about.)

Throughout the years, I've gravitated to the "men's" groups at parties, mainly because they were the ones primarily talking about the market and the economy. But for each of those men, there were many men who wouldn't go near those groups, and were, instead, talking about the environment and saving the planet and spiritual enlightenment. (Then again, I spend the summers in Woodstock, so it's quite a different crowd then the men I bump into on the tennis courts in Florida.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what's true, but I think it's funny that we've both changed the way we think. We've opened our minds. Or, perhaps we've simply "matured."

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us