The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Escheated property returned Date:  3/30/2009  7:13 PM
Author:  CTkaren Number:  105469 of 127753

I just received a large check from the state for 'property' they have been holding for me. Mostly non-delivered dividend checks and one chunk of money from a stock sale (which at this point I am so happy they sold). Will these amounts get reported on my 2009 return as dividends and stock sold, or will I need to amend the returns for the years that the state either received the dividends (or when I should have gotten them) or they sold the stock?
(some goes back 10 years, getting the proper papers and proof of addresses to satisfy the state was not simple.)

My life will be simplest if I can report them as 2009 income!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us