The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1099r-or-not-27601811.aspx

Subject:  1099R or Not Date:  4/14/2009  2:14 AM
Author:  harbor991 Number:  105733 of 121219

Hello All,

I am 62 years old, and retired. In early January 2008, by use of a direct rollover, I had my interests in my former employer's 40l-K plan rolled over into a direct rollover account I set up at TD Ameritrade to receive them. A Form 1099 R was issued by the former plan's administrator and I entered the tax free distribution amount shown on line 15a of Form 1040, the notation “rollover” next to Line 15b, and “0” as the amount on line15b. I think I've complied properly with reporting requirements.

My question arises, however, from another transaction with TD Ameritrade around the same time. I also opened a Roth IRA at TD Ameritrade and issued instructions to TDA to fund this newly opened account with a direct transfer of funds from two different mutual funds I've owned for years that were opened as Roth IRA accounts. Each fund sold my share holdings and remitted the cash proceeds to TDA, but I never received Form 1099R's from either former mutual fund.

I have two questions:

1) Should they have furnished 1099R's to me, or was it not required since it was a direct transfer of funds between the two custodial trustees rather than an actual “distribution of funds” ?
2) If the latter is the case, is there any reporting of the Roth account changes required on my part ?

Thank you kindly for your help.

Harbor991
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us