The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pros-making-simple-mistakes-27609036.aspx

Subject:  'Pros' making simple mistakes Date:  4/16/2009  2:28 PM
Author:  SRenaeP Number:  105791 of 121061

I spent most of yesterday evening doing my uncle's tax returns (gotta love 11th hour people). He's recently unemployed and I suspect, couldn't or didn't want to pay the CPA he's used in previous years. He'd given me a copy of his 2007 tax returns for reference. I was quite surprised to see the CPA had made a simple, but glaring (at least to me), mistake.

He'd completed a federal Schedule A but ended up using the standard deduction because it was more than the itemized deductions. Okay, no problem there. However, on the state return, on the line that references federal deductions, he marked itemized and put the lower (Sched A vs standard) amount. As a result, my uncle's state taxable income was shown as higher than it should have been and accordingly, he would owe more in state taxes.

I told my uncle I would look more into it over the weekend and file an amended state return if need be (which I suspect is the case). However, I'm just irked that he'd paid a pro who made a mistake like that.

-Steph
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us