The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/credit-access-line-versus-credit-limit-chase-27644299.aspx

Subject:  Credit access line versus credit limit (Chase) Date:  4/29/2009  9:59 PM
Author:  SteveTheInvestor Number:  287478 of 312149

A Chase MasterCard that I have had for several years sent me a letter to advise that they were "upgrading" my card to a Chase World MasterCard. This also involves changing my account from having a credit limit to a "credit access line" with no preset limit.

The card currently has an $18K limit which I've never even come close to. I never carry a balance and the most owed in any given month has been a little over $3K.

I can apparently opt out of this upgrade and am thinking about doing so. My general philosophy is that card companies do things like this because it will benefit them more than me.

I've heard rumor that available credit on a credit access line is reported to credit bureaus using the outstanding balance on the card. Unlike a card with a traditional credit limit, which reports the actual limit. If this is true, then this would hurt my FICO in that it would alter my credit utilization ratio.... would it not?

I would appreciate hearing any thoughts and/or experiences.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us