The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Redundancy Package Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/planning-a-strategy-27668588.aspx

Subject:  planning a strategy Date:  5/9/2009  11:04 AM
Author:  Kapri20 Number:  2 of 2

Hi all,

I wondered if people facing redundnacy or in it would like to share some strategies for best use of redundancy packages in a situtation where the timing of the next job is a variable.

I am in line to be made redundant on June 1st with an anticipated package of around $80 k I will look for a new role immediately in the current climate want to use the money wisely in order to be open to a delay in finding a new position.

I should add that I am UK based and have had difficulty working out how to create a new board over there (!) + would value some advice with American oomph. I am not looking for products so much as translatable principles - our economies are similar.

At the moment I plan to pay myself a monthly salary from a high interest account of around $1,800. I have mortage payment insurance so I will not attempt to reduce the principle on my $114 k mortage with a one off payment until the insurance cover is used up (one year) with a one off payment. I will stash away money in a tax free cash savings account - but that is a small proportion of the whole.

Should I also try to trickle money into some sort of investment portfolio (high dividend yield) given the uncertain length of my unemployed status? I would love to be creating an income flow not just using up my capital.

Many thanks for any thoughts, and please forgive the UK intrusion,

Kapri
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us