The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/am-we-all-feel-for-you-it-is-a-very-frustrating-27694084.aspx

Subject:  Re: Risks w/ municipal bonds? Date:  5/21/2009  12:19 AM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  27561 of 35272

AM,

We all feel for you, it is a very frustrating time to put money to work in fixed income.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place with this.

No you are not. Cash never hurts as you and your spouse found out when the stock market got funky. You are in a much better place than many, you have options. You could put 25% - 50% in the GNMA and 25% in a CD ladder and MMA the rest or any reasonable combination. This is a good place to be. The returns are less than desirable but you aren't stuck.

I apologize if I came on too hard.

Oh, not to worry -- you were just giving your best opinion.
And you are right about it being frustrating. This market is a little crazy and I'm pretty UN-sure what to do right now.

I've already gotten back into 4 funds (one of them is a bond fund) - and all are currently paying off for me. But my entrance back into the market has been kind of a tippy-toe into cold water move. I don't feel confident enough to plunge into the deep end just yet.

The problem is that it just kills me seeing that money sitting there day after day earning less than a half percent. Still you are right- at least I still HAVE the money. :)

And something else you said gave me pause as well. I will look into ETFs for some of what I will need in my portfolio. This "cooling off" period I'll be taking will give me the chance to take a closer look at some of these as well as the bond funds I've been considering.

So I really do appreciate the time you have taken to answer my questions -- even though I've seemed like the headless chicken running around in circles. So I'd just like to thank you once again. And Loki as well.

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us