The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Selling mutual funds held in IRA... Date:  5/24/2009  8:15 PM
Author:  dinkysue Number:  65723 of 88417

I hold shares of a certain mutual fund held in an IRA account with the fund company (Oakmark Funds).

I'm interested in selling some of these shares and purchasing some individual stocks. How would I go about doing this? I do have an IRA account with a discount broker...would I need to transfer some of the Oakmark shares to the broker and then sell from there?

I've done that and the answer is: it depends. The broker may or may not be able to transfer the fund intact. Probably, the simplest way is to sell the fund within the fund company and then transfer the cash and then buy what you want. I know that Schwab can work with you to get a rollover done and make sure you have no tax consequences. I'm sure other brokers can do the same. Talk to your broker. They will help you because they will be happy to get the business.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us