The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-see-harry-a-closed-mind-gathers-no-facts--27731999.aspx

Subject:  Re: End of the Health Care debate Date:  6/8/2009  11:11 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  19283 of 61422

You see, Harry, a closed mind gathers no facts. - Horace

It's called "confirmation bias". Fundamentalist Christians do it in regards to the interpretation of the Bible, and people who are very politically oriented do it in regards to facts about whatever politcal bent they identify with.

My sister and her daughter are very liberal and totally in LOVE with Obama. They are both extremely environmentally conscious and believe global warming to be a FACT that is indisputable. Whenever I show them an article that conflicts in any way with their all ready made up minds about global warming they don't even bother to read it. Why should they when they KNOW that global warming is scientifically proven fact?

I encounter the same bias from materialist skeptics when talking about near death experiences, death bed visions, and the holographic nature of the universe. They have made up their minds how the universe works and any other theory can't be true because they have decided that life after death can't be true - because, well, it just can't!

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us