The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-usually-stay-out-of-these-types-of-debates-i-27732923.aspx

Subject:  Re: End of the Health Care debate Date:  6/8/2009  3:53 PM
Author:  2001Cobra Number:  19306 of 61422

I usually stay out of these types of debates.

I find that in these types of politically charged issues no amount of rationale discussion or facts ever seems to change anyone's mind.

I also want to disclose that I am in the military and get 'free healthcare' so I don't have a dogmatic opinion either way. But, here are my thoughts...

1.) You can throw around as many figures as you want comparing cost of heathcare between the US and Canada but the fact of the matter is you get what you pay for. Universal Healthcare is rationed health care. PERIOD. You have two choices...

A.) Not everyone is covered and the more you make the better your access to care, physicians, ect
B.) Everyone is covered and everyone gets the same subpar care. Granted, the rich can still get better healthcare with private pay.

2.) This brings me to me second point. Being in the military I have had firsthand experience (I am in the medical field) with the NHS system in England. It is frankly horrible. Rationed heathcare is not pretty. And it takes months sometimes just to see a provider. It's crazy...

The point of this post is just to say there are negatives to both sides of the issue. I certainly want everyone to be able to have healthcare but at the same time do not want my quality of my healthcare diminished. I know some of you refuse to believe that healthcare would be diminished, but it would.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us