The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Overseas Investing in US Market


Subject:  Re: Retiree with Foreign Earned Income Roth IRA Date:  6/24/2009  8:28 AM
Author:  jensiv Number:  649 of 677

I'm receiving loan forgiveness from my law school, I'm abroad and have no normal taxable income because of the living abroad exemption, but I'm interested in saving for retirement. I'm wondering if I can claim the loan forgiveness as income not covered by the living abroad exemption and save in a Roth IRA.

If not, is there some other IRA I should consider? Is there a point if it's not a deduction? Is there some global pension that can be recommended for expats?

Simply put, how should I save for retirement in my circumstance?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us