The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-rules-when-it-comes-to-tax-proposals-1-you-27803011.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Tax on Retirees proposed Date:  7/10/2009  1:25 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  15238 of 19220

My rules when it comes to tax proposals: (1) You can't do anything about it because you don't have enough clout to get anyone to listen.

Some people are in a position to vote with their feet. For example, I would love to move 15 miles from OR (9% income tax) to WA (0 income tax). That would go a long way to mitigate the coming federal income tax hikes and carbon taxes. Unfortunately, DW won't leave this house until we are too feeble to manage the stairs. At the rate we are going that's going to be at least another 15 years.

On the brighter side, I will start drawing SS at the end of this year (62 in Nov) and DW the year after. I predict that a lot of our SS benefits will be eaten up by new taxes and higher prices if the cap-n-trade monstrosity gets through the Senate. At least OR doesn't tax SS benefits.

--fleg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us