The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thank-you-for-your-suggestions-10-15-for-a-27850137.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth selections Date:  7/30/2009  7:29 PM
Author:  wrjohnston91283 Number:  65981 of 75772

thank you for your suggestions - 10-15% for a decade? wow! do you consider that an aggressive , moderate or conservative investment?

I consider it an aggressive position - I'm actually surprised that they've been able to maintain the 10-15% for so long. They have 15 (i think) oil tankers right now, and that's all they do - haul oil. They sell stock every year, diluting current shareholders, but only to buy a new tanker, which will help keep the dividend high.

Their price isn't related the cost of oil, but the demand - as demand goes down, there is less need to ship it. I would not be surprised if their next quarter earnings are lower than expected, due to the recession.

No tax issues in a Roth. Outside of a Roth part of the dividend is treated as a return of capital, so you don't pay taxes on it now, but it lowers your cost basis, increasing your gain in the future.

WRJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us