The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unless-you-are-in-san-francisco-or-new-york-city-27913276.aspx

Subject:  Re: Am I on the right path? Date:  8/25/2009  3:36 PM
Author:  mheusser Number:  228 of 294

Unless you are in San Francisco or New York City, I'd say you are doing better than 90% of your peer group.

So at this point, I'd be 'worried' about discontinuous change, mostly:

Something happens to make your vocation un-sustainable and/or
Something happens to make your paper investments diluted

The two specific things would be working in an non-sustainable industry (steel after tariffs, Enron, Mortgage-Backed Securities in 2007, GM today, etc.) If you company makes real money selling something people actually want, you're in decent shape.

As for paper investments, well, you are diversified into precious metals, and that's good. With a mortgage of 304K, I'd want more than 8K saved up in cash, but that's just me.

I might shift a few more $$ over to pay the house off in advance and take a hard look at what those funds are invested. (What happened to them in fall 2008?)

Otherwise, I'd say you're doing well. If you want a book to look at disruptive change, I'd suggest "The Black Swan." By Talib.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us