The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Get Organized!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ohmigod-at-the-end-of-may-my-mother-had-a-fall-27935102.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hoaders Date:  9/2/2009  9:12 PM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  30288 of 37699

ohmigod.

At the end of May my mother had a fall, and there was a unanimous decision among her three children that she needed to move into assisted living. We got her moved into the new apartment by August 19th. She has been complaining that she was a terrible packrat, and should not have kept a lot of the things she did.

We are talking about several boxes in the attic and one four-drawer file cabinet. By the end of August 21st the only major things left to do involved hanging the pictures, and working through the last of the 'to be discarded" pile.

She would have had a heart attack if she had ever seen any of those videos. It simply would never have crossed her mind that people lived like that.

My SIL, by the way, organized almost the entire event, starting with calling the EMT within seconds after the fall, through tracking down the right assisted living place, taking Mom to doctors, negotiating with the movers, and everything else. She simply organizes things. She got it from her mother. (You should see family vacations. Everyone gets a spreadsheet. Even the people who aren't going).

Nancy
who clearly has to do something about the books, the yarn and the totebags.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us