The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-your-local-library-dosnt-have-enough-for-you-28003576.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low cost leisure activity Date:  10/2/2009  1:19 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  1343 of 1498

If your local library dosn't have enough for you, but you live near a better library system, you can likely join the other library system for a small charge. In my area the libraries are by county and my wife uses the audible books extensively so she pays about $25 per year to join the library in the adjacent county to get access to the different audible books that they have. You may also be able to use a local college library by paying a fee to join it.

If you do end up paying tuition, don’t forget about the “lifetime learning credit” that will credit back 20% of qualified tuition expenses(and books?) up to a $2,000 credit per year. I’m not a 100% sure but some educational trips through colleges may at least partially qualify for this.

In some states senior citizens can attend college courses at the state colleges and universities that have open seats for free or at a greatly reduced cost.

Greg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us