The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotyou-might-as-well-compare-the-workforce-of-28061812.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oopss....error...error Date:  10/28/2009  7:55 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  21455 of 61159

"You might as well compare the workforce of IBM with McDonalds. It's not a valid comparison and many economists have taken issue with this Reagan Institute....urrr Cato institute study."

I'd bet that 80% of all government jobs only require a high school diploma or GED. We can start with the tens of thousands at the IRS answering telephones, and at SS, and the tens of thousands of 'clerks' and secretaries. Tell me they need 'college degrees' and I'll laugh you out of town.

"The composition of the federal workforce is much different than that of the US as a whole."

I doubt it. You have some college people, but lots of 'workers' who don't need top education. I worked for many companies that had 10-15% exempt, and the rest were hourly workers. Worked for Motorola in Schaumburg IL.....2500 factory workers....300 engineers. Do the math. Of those 2500 factory workers, I'd bet that back then 30% never finished high school, and only 5% were in management - and most of them just had high school degrees and years of experience. Nothing more.

Same at my second job - in Lynchburg VA...maybe 120 engineers...and 2500 factory workers making two way radios.

You think that 'non government jobs' are all at McDonalds? hee hee....don't forget to tell the airlines, the UAW, the teachers union, the construction unions, all the city workers, etc.

"The number of jobs that require degreed individuals for federal government is MUCH higher than that of the US population in general."

OK>..show some some statistics.....on the actual breakdown of the federal workforce, education level required...and you might have some hope of proving your side of your story.

" Just to be an FBI field agent you must have a bachelors degree."

Yep,and FBI agents are far and few between, and most of the folks working for the FBI likely only need a high school degree, right?

"When I worked at NSA - every federal employee held a bachelors degree."

When I worked at MCI Advanced Technology Department, every had a least a bachelors degree, and we had mostly Master's and PhDs. SO?

"All had to be approved for a Top Secret Security Clearance. "

I could have worked for a dozen defense contractors that required a security clearance. Everyone likely working for the engineering departments at Boeing or Rockwell or other military contractor needs high level security clearance. So? Nothing new. And NSA is , what, 0.003% of the fed work force?

"Just think of the different operations the federal government oversees. "

Yep, usually a group of 50 government flunkies hire an outside contractor like Halliburtion or C-Systems or other 'government helper'..... heck, even the food service and emptying the latrines on Fort Hood are contracted out. They have more contractors that fed employees on most things...well, almost as many...since it takes 50-100 people or more to 'supervise' the contractors of 50-100 people.

"The department of Energy."

How about Boeing? How about INTEL? How about MIT?

"Sandia Labratories..... etc, etc."

YOU"RE NUTS

http://www.sandia.gov/

"Sandia is a government-owned/contractor operated (GOCO) facility. Sandia Corporation, a Lockheed Martin company, manages Sandia for the U.S. Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration."

Sandia Labs is run by a Private Corporation under contract to the government.

"You think maybe geography makes a difference? Where are the bulk of federal workers employeed?"

You mean in WV, home of Robert Byrd, who brings endless pork projects and tens of thousands of jobs to rural West Virgina?

"Yes, that would be in the vicinity of higher priced metropolitan areas."

West Virginia? Alabama? New Mexico? Ya gotta be kidding. OKLA city?

"Requires higher salaries than the clerk working in the backwoods of Missouri wouldn't you think?"

Nope.....the clerks in WV don't get more.....

"If you compare job classes on an individual basis - you know, make a fair comparison - then federal employees almost always come out on the short end of the stick."

Heck, most get raises every year just for showing up on the job. They never get downsized, their salaries aren't cut when their company loses money, and no one puts a 'cap' on their salaries. THey aren't asked to pay much more for health care. They aren't furloughed. THeir employer isn't going to go bust any time soon (at least 10 years).....Short end of the stick? YOu gotta be kidding. Gold plated benefits. Guaranteed early retirement plans.....30 years and out, right? At age 50? or maybe 55.....health care - the best deals.

How many gov't workers you hear worried about getting 'laid off'????

Twenty years ago when I was job searching, after the second time I had been 'downsized' , I looked at one opportunity in NV....outside of Las Vegas.....say in an area supposedly where lots of UFOs had been seen. That's all I can say about that.....Nice job...paid 30% more than any other job I could have gotten. 5 days a week, lots of gov't benefits, vacations, etc. Would have required security clearance and hassles......plus two daily airplane flights to and from work....decided to skip that one and take up others - and the others worked out fine.

t
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us