The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-discussed-the-separate-account-thing-one-night-28063438.aspx

Subject:  Re: Add Wife to Accounts? Date:  10/29/2009  2:08 PM
Author:  llambe Number:  293050 of 308881

We discussed the separate account thing one night and decided it just didn't make sense unless one of us became unreliable in our spending.

Apparently, neither of you has ever had a wallet get lost or stolen.

I haven't read ahead, but this doesn't follow - just because all the accounts are joint, doesn't mean that both parties have to carry the cards for all the accounts.

On the other hand I completely disagree with having all joint accounts, but my reasoning has more to do with "freezing" of accounts (yes that is hopefully unlikely and never needed - but we all do plenty of things to cover the "unlikely" occurrence - wear seat belts for instance).

My DH and I also have chosen to have our "own" money accounts and our "own" money CC's to go with them if we so choose (we do "allowances" to fund those accounts). Of course those could be joint accounts but why bother? IMO making a big fuss that ALL accounts MUST be joint seems overkill.

LL
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us