The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-feel-foolish-if-i-spent-twice-as-much-on-a-28117537.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for intercst Date:  11/22/2009  5:36 PM
Author:  workwayless Number:  21761 of 63329

I'd feel foolish if I spent twice as much on a First Class airline ticket when every passenger arrives at the destination at the same time.

IMHO I don't think First class and Business class tickets provide a good value.

First class service on US based flights has become a joke.

A couple of years ago I took a trip to South Africa. I flew from Phoenix to JFK on USAIR and then connected to a flight on South African Airlines. I had originally purchased a coach ticket for the entire trip. However, when I checked in USAIR was running a special where you could upgrade to First Class for a rather nominal amount. So I upgraded on the domestic leg of the trip.

The only amenity I received for this "First Class" upgrade was a wider seat. I was not allowed to wait for my flight in the USAIR lounge. Onboard there was no food served, no movies shown and the flight attendants pretty much ignored the first class passengers.

In contrast, while sitting in Coach class on the South African Airline flight, I experienced delightful service---meals, drinks, and movies at no additional charge.

Have only flown once in Business Class on a International trip and I didn't pay for it--got upgraded by the airline because they had accidently double booked our seats. The food was really good--but not good enough to justify the difference in price over Coach class.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us