The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-hotels-all-tend-to-buy-the-same-cable-or-28120183.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for intercst Date:  11/23/2009  9:10 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  21781 of 60049

I think hotels all tend to buy the same cable or satellite packages whether they are upscale or not. I can't recall ever staying in an upscale hotel in the US that did not carry FOXNews. I know this because I always note which channels to avoid when I am searching for TV entertainment. If you travel overseas, you don't find FOX, but there is usually an equally vile Rupert Murdoch propaganda network. When I'm traveling on my own nickel, I tend to stay in Super 8's, Motel 6's, and other lower end hotels along the road. When other people are paying, they tend to put me up in rooms that cost 4 to 6 times what I pay on my own.

One interesting thing I've noticed that makes no sense to me. You can drive down a highway in the middle of nowhere and find countless low end hotels all offering "free wi-fi". But go to an upscale hotel and they charge you $10 per day for a connection. I recently stayed in Rome in a Mercure (owned by Accor who also owns Motel 6) and they charged 7 euros per hour for wi-fi.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us