The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quottele-that-was-the-best-post-you-have-ever-28120362.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for intercst Date:  11/23/2009  10:46 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  21785 of 88558

"Tele, that was the best post you have ever written. I would enjoy more posts about your travels.

Thanks, Art"

Well, I could tell you about the trip to Hawaii.......about 10 years ago..... in NOvember - after the summer tourists had gone home, before the winter tourists arrive. Best time.....

I needed to make radio contacts from the five Hawaiian counties......which means I needed to hit Molokai, Hawaii (the big island), Honolulu, and Kauai....

So I flew to Honolulu.....stayed at a hotel about 400 feet from the beach...easy quick walk...and the beach is public....so you can camp out wherever you want.....I was near Waikiki.

I had a rental car to get around, so I got out of the city (Honolulu is horribly crowded and horrible traffic jams. I went north to Haunama Bay - superb snorkeling and scuba diving there..... I had been scuba diving there 20 some years before on a very short trip there before. So just went skin diving. THe fish are six feet down.

Went up to the north end of the island .....and took a glider ride with young female pilot over the north end...that is where the 30-40 foot surf comes in during the winter...nothing going on but 6-8 foot waves. The glider pilots accumulate hours. You rent the glider by the hour, and the pilots get whatever you tip them. I guess when they get so many hours, they can go for higher ratings, etc. Nice hour long ride. Left nice tip of