The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-been-on-over-20-cruises-which-isnt-many-28124881.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question for intercst Date:  11/25/2009  5:42 PM
Author:  friar1610 Number:  21798 of 58789

I've been on over 20 cruises. Which isn't many compared to a lot of my (older) cruising friends, many of whom have been on 50 or more.

My wife and I went on our first cruise last December. (Well, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm retired from the Navy, so I have "cruised" before, but not the same way.)

Cruise was from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Valparaiso, Chile. Went around Cape Horn. Stopped in the Falkland Islands (always an area of interest for me because of the Falklands War in the 80's.) We did many shore excursions and avoided the "shopping trips." Felt a bit ripped off in that even the shore excursions occasionally tried to steer you toward places they thought you should shop. Drinks on the ship were a wee bit pricey but not out of line if you didn't get way carried away. All but a few of the eating options were included in the cruise price and were quite good. There were a few "pay extra" restaurants. We went to one - a French restaurant - which cost us a $20 or $25 premium (but it was our 40th anniversary.)

We had an outside cabin but with only a window,not a deck. (This was winter in SA. It was warm in Buenos Aires upon departure but mighty chilly in Patagonia!) On balance, a very enjoyable trip to places we would not have otherwise seen. We have no interest in Caribbean cruises. If we cruise again, we'll probably do the Alaska trip or river cruises in Europe or Russia.

friar1610
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us